- The evening bell,solemn and bronze
- in the grandfather temple down the hill
- soun dimly here.
- Slow beat of the mountain's heart, perhaps,
- or determined pulse of pine tree (gift of the birds)
- growing out of a crotch of the slippery monkey tree.
- All one perhaps--
- bell, mountain tree...
- and steady cicada vibratto
- and little white dog
- and quiet artist-priest, carver of Noh masks,
- fashoning a bamboo crutch for the ancient peach tree--
- symbol of strength, symbol of concern.
- All cool under nodding crowns of the vertical forest,
- all seaking in this piace,
- all finding in this piace--
- hidden yet open to all--
- the spirit in the cedar's heart.